As a woman, I often wonder why we bother asking our male counterparts for their opinion on certain topics. Our views too often greatly differ; I mean, duh, men are from Mars and women are from Venus!
One of top things women shouldn’t ask men is “Do these jeans make me look fat?” (Am I right, guys?!) In case you guys get asked, here are 6 responses that hopefully won’t result in the evil eye or silent treatment.
photography by Lex in the City
1) “No, they accentuate your curves.” It’s probably at least partially true. The way most jeans fit, they hug onto your curves. Nevermind that they also hug onto the rolls of stomach fat and cellulite on thighs.
2) “No, but I like you in skirts.” This response works best when you know the woman has confidence that she has great legs. Regardless how well the dress fits, most women gain a sense of poise and feel extra feminine in dresses.
3) “Yes, but it’s the jeans’ fault!” Yes, blame it on the jeans! They’re an inanimate object that won’t retaliate in any way, shape, or form. Follow this response by suggesting an entire shopping day devoted to finding the perfect pair of jeans.
4) “I like the way they [the jeans] look.” Notice there is no “yes” or “no” response here. By simply telling her you like the way the jeans look you ultimately are saying you like the way she looks. This one may backfire as she’ll want a direct answer to the question, but just follow it up with a hug and kiss (and if you know she’s into it, a pat on the butt wouldn’t hurt).
5) “Jeans don’t make you, you make the jeans!” Go cheesy and then say, “And you make ‘em look hot, baby!” Go modest and say, “And you make them work, honey!” Paying her a compliment should help boost her confidence a bit.
These responses won’t work for all women, so anticipate how she’ll react before choosing your response. And when all else fails…
6) “Honesty is best.” Most women can spot bullshit from a mile away. If you know she’ll appreciate and can take your honesty, then (brace yourself and) simply tell her your honest opinion.