As a woman, I often wonder why we bother asking our male counterparts for their opinion on certain topics. Our views too often greatly differ; I mean, duh, men are from Mars and women are from Venus!

One of top things women shouldn’t ask men is “Do these jeans make me look fat?” (Am I right, guys?!) In case you guys get asked, here are 6 responses that hopefully won’t result in the evil eye or silent treatment.

Do These Jeans Make Me Look Fat?
photography by Lex in the City

1) “No, they accentuate your curves.” It’s probably at least partially true. The way most jeans fit, they hug onto your curves. Nevermind that they also hug onto the rolls of stomach fat and cellulite on thighs.

2) “No, but I like you in skirts.” This response works best when you know the woman has confidence that she has great legs. Regardless how well the dress fits, most women gain a sense of poise and feel extra feminine in dresses.

3) “Yes, but it’s the jeans’ fault!” Yes, blame it on the jeans! They’re an inanimate object that won’t retaliate in any way, shape, or form. Follow this response by suggesting an entire shopping day devoted to finding the perfect pair of jeans.

4) “I like the way they [the jeans] look.” Notice there is no “yes” or “no” response here. By simply telling her you like the way the jeans look you ultimately are saying you like the way she looks. This one may backfire as she’ll want a direct answer to the question, but just follow it up with a hug and kiss (and if you know she’s into it, a pat on the butt wouldn’t hurt).

5) “Jeans don’t make you, you make the jeans!” Go cheesy and then say, “And you make ‘em look hot, baby!” Go modest and say, “And you make them work, honey!” Paying her a compliment should help boost her confidence a bit.

These responses won’t work for all women, so anticipate how she’ll react before choosing your response. And when all else fails…

6) “Honesty is best.” Most women can spot bullshit from a mile away. If you know she’ll appreciate and can take your honesty, then (brace yourself and) simply tell her your honest opinion.

Comments

11 Responses to “6 Responses to “Do These Jeans Make Me Look Fat?””

1. Jeff on April 11th, 2008 6:44 am

Don’t get with a fat girl in the first place and you won’t have this problem!

2. holla kitty on April 11th, 2008 8:41 am

I like how Al Bundy responds to Peggy with that question. “No, honey. It’s not the dress that makes you look fat. It’s the FAT that makes you look fat.”

3. MikeT on April 11th, 2008 1:03 pm

If girls don’t want an honest answer, they shouldn’t ask in the first place.

4. ham on April 11th, 2008 9:41 pm

Fellas. I can see where the comments are going. I was totally on the same page and dated only attractive women, and avoided women who are living large. But once i got married to my Highschool hottie, comments like those, put me in the dog house. (please note, my wife is extremely extremely attractive and totally hot in her jeans! just in case shes reading this) Al Bundy is only my role model when i know i dont want to get any action, which is means, i rarely quote him. Except for in respects to dropping a load.

5. Frollie on April 11th, 2008 9:53 pm

The answer is always yes, despite what you’ve been told… I’m not even kidding.

6. bloggers mosaic on April 12th, 2008 7:28 am

always smile and say yes you always look gr8 with or without

7. The Middle Child on April 20th, 2008 7:03 pm

I tried answering with: “No, they cover up your fat.”

…and this is why I wake up alone.

8. Lee on September 11th, 2008 5:12 am

As far as my concerned your looking gud in jeans gal dont worry..

9. Tired Sigh on March 10th, 2009 2:03 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I had to comment.

The writer of this article has NO idea what she (I’m assuming) is talking about.

The Middle Child had the only good answer, as far as I am concerned.

You must never respond to this question with a straight answer. Come up with funny responses that deflect the question until she stops asking.

e.g.

“What am I, your gay best friend?”

“Are you trying to seduce me? You’re going to have to come up with better lines than that.”

*pretending to be hypnotized* “What? Sorry, did you say something?”

10. Ember on July 18th, 2011 8:08 pm

Guys, why would we ask if we don’t want to know the truth? I don’t know about anyone else, but I would appreciate it all the more if a guy would just be f*ckin straightforward and say yes or no. To Tired Sigh and every other guy, avoiding the question by changing the topic would just piss me off! I don’t get why you men can’t just tell the f*cking truth.

11. Anton on December 18th, 2011 6:04 pm

>>Guys, why would we ask if we don’t want to know the truth?<<

YES! Because when questions like these get asked, the woman asking them is expecting reassurance rather than honesty. Now I realize that women are often insecure about their appearance, but it's really obnoxious to put the burden on someone ELSE(even if that someone is the guy in your life)to deal with YOUR own feelings. If the Mr really didn't like the way you look, he'd be dating someone else instead.