The gym represents so many things to different people. For some, it is a safe haven after a taxing day at work. For others, it is a glorified happy hour to pick up dimes (chicks). But for most, the gym is an ally to fight that never ending war: “The Battle of the Bulge.”

Whether you’re a weekend warrior at Average Joe’s Gym or a meat-headed freak from Globo Gym, there are a few rules of gym etiquette to follow so you don’t end up being “that guy.”

The Fashion Show

Loose clothing is optimal. CLEAN shirts, sweatpants, athletic shorts, and sneakers will do. Please leave the cutoff jean shorts and pajama pants at home. That’s just poor gym etiquette.

Wipe Me Down

Imagine Patrick Ewing at the foul line in triple overtime. Now imagine Patrick Ewing bench pressing and no ball boys there to wipe up his mess. Kinda gross. Most gyms have brown paper towels for a reason, so use them when needed or bring your own towel.

Starbucks

Do a few reps, drink a cup of coffee, read the New York Times, update your fantasy team, do another set, wait 15 minutes, then repeat. Are you (expletive) serious!? Stop hogging the equipment. Hogging will only irritate other gym patrons who actually give a (expletive) about their workout.

Avoid Bad Form

What good are all those swinging and swaying motions during your barbell curls if you’re not intending to audition for “So You Think You Can Dance?” Using hip thrust momentum to get that weight up does not impress the judges. Those out-of-control, spastic gyrations only invite injury.

Gym goers should use strict form during their workouts. Lifting weights require controlled movements to achieve that “orgasmic” pump as Arnold refers to. The “pump” is a great indication that you are performing the exercise correctly. One more rep!

Beware of B.O.

Gym Etiquette: Do You Make These Mistakes?
There is nothing worse than having someone with rank body odor jump on the treadmill next to you during your workout. Yes, it is true that women can smell pheromones, but they don’t want to smell your stank ass.

Eye Candy

At times the gym can be one big meat market. There is nothing wrong with noticing that Jessica Biel booty walking by, but don’t make it a staring contest. Next time, use the mirrors at a 45 degree angle to check out that hottie.

10 Guys and a Bench

Workout partners are great to have on so many levels. A partner to push you to your max is the best supplement a guy could have in his diet. But do you really need 10 guys to spot you? One person lifts, then the next, then the next, etc. It’s like a merry-go-round. This falls into the same category of the Starbucks idea. How many more sets you guys got? “We’ll be here for awhile” is not the answer I want to hear.

Nice Rack

All gyms require you to re-rack your weights when you’re done. It would bother me too if I couldn’t find the matching dumbbell that’s on the other side of the gym.

Man in the Mirror

People fail to realize that the mirror is a great workout tool but not so much for narcissistic purposes. Use the mirror to check if your form is up to par. When you see your muscles being worked, veins start popping out, and you know that it’s working. Seeing is believing. Like equipment, the mirror must be shared with all gym goers. Jumping in front of someone during their seated military press will disrupt their focus and make them go “Hulk Smash” on your head.

I’m sure there are tons of other gym etiquette points I have not touched on. Feel free to leave some of your suggestions in the comments section.

Comments

89 Responses to “Gym Etiquette: Do You Make These Mistakes?”

1. reegsta on February 27th, 2008 11:58 am

i think i got the loose clothing right every time i wear a wife beater. and whats the etiquette on walking around naked in the locker room?

2. holla kitty on February 27th, 2008 12:57 pm

And, ladies, … I understand you gotta take a shower at the gym and all, but if you’re gonna pick something off the ground, naked, at least turn the other way so I won’t have to see the beaver shot.

3. ugly on February 27th, 2008 3:02 pm

I’d be lucky if I could bench the bar now. I get tired just taking the elevator.

Good tips. I’ll try to remember not to wear my cut-off jeans if I ever go back to the gym.

4. anon on February 28th, 2008 8:26 am

excessive grunting/yelling. There was a guy in yesterday who was doing dead lifts. On each rep he would practically scream. Then he collapsed in a heap of drama at the end of his set.

5. jkingsbury on February 29th, 2008 2:46 pm

great points kram. what would you say about cell phone etiquette? I hate it when someone uses the gym as their own personal conference call room. I can understand in an emergency but I really don’t really want to hear how long it took with the TPS reports. thanks buddy.

6. Bukowsky on March 23rd, 2008 7:21 pm

Great tips!

Because I can think of an example of each from my gym that i frequent!

7. Tessiezd on March 23rd, 2008 8:37 pm

Amazing page., man

8. Deliggit.com | The social sites' most interesting urls on March 24th, 2008 7:08 am

Gym Etiquette: Do You Make These Mistakes? | Deliggit.com…

\r\nThe Gym – A safe haven after a taxing day at work, a glorified happy hour to pick up c…

9. andrew on March 24th, 2008 8:23 am

gotta agree with all of these – especially the bad form…it looks like people are preparing to throw grenades (or throw out their arms)

Thumbs up for this.

10. Nick on March 24th, 2008 9:55 am

“Man in the Mirror” is so true. I am SICK of that shit. So many choads at my gym sit there and flex their muscles in front of the mirror. I can’t believe they don’t get how retarded they look.

I would add making annoying sounds like grunting and yelling to your list. There is nothing more annoying that some meat head making sexual-like or bathroom-like noises when lifting.

11. MChicago on March 24th, 2008 10:05 am

Please add:
    “Gotta take a 10-minute break while sitting on the machine”-guy. The guy gets on the lat pulldown, does 8 reps, then releases the bar and sits there for 5-6 minutes. Hello! Let’s get going! This is even worse with any machine with a bench or seat of any kind. I don’t mine the Starbucks guy as long as he’s off the machine looking like a douche.

12. Jerzy on March 24th, 2008 10:11 am

it drives me crazy when people pick up 120lbs dumbbells and in stead of putting them down on floor between reps, they just drop them on the ground. its very unsafe. not to wish them bad, but i think the only way they would realize the hazard in that if someone dropped 120lbs dumbbell on their foot.

13. purrl.net |** urls that purr **| on March 24th, 2008 10:12 am

This is one of the web’s most interesting stories on Mon 24th Mar 2008…

These are the web’s most talked about URLs on Mon 24th Mar 2008. The current winner is …..

14. college forum on March 24th, 2008 10:14 am

How about “that guy” who all he wants to do is socialize? I’ve been at the gym numerous times (with headphones on) and have had people try to spark up a conversation with me. I don’t mind a friendly “hello” or perhaps a question about my routine, but its rude when some guy starts telling me his life story. I’m there to work out, not socialize.

15. Greg on March 24th, 2008 10:25 am

Treadmill etiquette (see: urinal etiquette):
    If there are multiple open treadmills please follow a one treadmill buffer at least.

16. Tom on March 24th, 2008 10:34 am

how is bad form bad etiquette? you’re not hurting anyone but yourself. oh, and i’ll wear pajama pants to the gym if i want to, seeing as it’s none of anyone’s business. in fact, how about adding this to the list: minding your own business?

17. craig on March 24th, 2008 10:36 am

Bad form may not get you what you want but it isn’t poor etiquette. Anyone who’s annoyed by it has other problems; their form is their problem not yours.

Grunting, groaning, and equipment slamming is poor etiquette. Those are the style points that should be made.

18. JosefMonakh on March 24th, 2008 10:39 am

“heap of drama” lol

19. Mill on March 24th, 2008 10:48 am

What about the huge mirrors with the dumbbells racks in front of them. There’s always that fucking guy who has to stand 2 inches in front of the mirror, right in everyones way. Completely oblivious to the fact that other people might want to get to that entire rack of dumbbells that he is blocking. Total shitheel.

20. ronnie coleman on March 24th, 2008 10:54 am

I’m surprised curling in the squat rack isnt mentioned…. thats the king of all gym sins

21. dewce2 on March 24th, 2008 10:56 am

Must add that it can also be quite annoying when people grab their dumbbells off the rack and do their workout right there. Please grab the weights and back off from the dumbbell rack so others can get to what they need, instead of having to waste our time waiting for you to finish your reps!

22. Mr. Obvious on March 24th, 2008 11:59 am

I know this is a repeat, but it must be said. Anybody who does curls in the squat rack is a douchebag. It is usually the same guy who wears construction boots, jeans, and a tanktop.

23. Brother Monk on March 24th, 2008 12:02 pm

I deal with these two issues at my gym daily…

1) The Constant Cell Phone Talker – who goes to the gym and spends 45 minutes using the elliptical trainer at the slowest speed and talks on their cell phone the entire time (college age women I am looking at you)? Is it really THAT important that you need to talk right now? Work out or talk – not both.

2) The Perfume Bather – folks, when you go to the gym and start sweating even a little, that poison you call cologne becomes a noxious cloud of stink that would kill a small buffalo. Do NOT put on perfume or aftershave and go to the gym. Some of us are very sensitive to strong smells, and that combination of sweat and Drakar is beyond vile.

24. Eric on March 24th, 2008 12:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to create a post like this somewhere. There’s so much more to all this too – i.e. the smell comment goes for women wearing perfume and SMOKERS too. i dont want to smell your f*cking nasty cancer-stick while im working out so dont f*cking smoke before the gym. and the last comment is great. i consciously try to stay out of a lifter’s mirror-vision. when someone jumps in front of me (the military press ESPECIALLY) i just want to rip their balls off and steal their mp3 player.

not too sure if curling on the squat rack is the “king” of sins though

25. Christina on March 24th, 2008 12:38 pm

Thank god somebody is spreading the word!!! Thank you! I just started a blog on fitness and am planning writing a similar post. If you don’t mind, I’ll site this post with the few additions I have.

FYI, found this through digg.

26. mike on March 24th, 2008 12:43 pm

How could you leave out the morons that hover over you or around you waiting impatiently for you to finish your turn on a machine.
    I wish they would do what I do in that situation. Find another machine or slightly change their routine to accommodate other patrons. Some of these guys think it’s all about them.

27. AFAF on March 24th, 2008 12:45 pm

Bad form is bad etiquette.. It hurts my eyes when I see some shmuck liftin like an idiot. And u wear pajama pants you prolly fit all these categories. I wouldn’t say grunting is bad etiquette just the guy that grunts and moans for every rep and every set he does on every workout. You’d be surprise how much grunting can help esp when your maxing out. But eye candy FTW lol. 45 degree angle any guy that looks directly at a girls butt is a little nugget and prolly has never been wit a girl on any level. ehh let the poor guy look i love when they slap them. And some of you have said curling in the squat rack? wtf?! i’ve never seen this and if I did i would surely smack the little bitch because he prolly is alittle bitch. But the worst thing ever is when ur doing a routine and ur looking at ur form and some mofo jumps in front of you and blocks ur sight of view. STOP IT!!! you can wait 6-8 reps which is about 20 sec until u get ur little 20 pound dumbbells ok… Esp bad when you do like 70-80 pounds for military press and ur trying really hard to get ur form right….

28. Charles on March 24th, 2008 12:45 pm

wrt “Starbucks Guy,” while that’s an extreme case, there are some training methods that do have a 5+ minute rest between sets. Generally it’s considered good form to be inviting to people to share the equipment during the rest, but make it clear you’re not done. Most likely that’s not what “Starbucks Guy” is doing, but best not to generalize too much.

29. Dino on March 24th, 2008 12:46 pm

How about singing? We have a retard who sings here, and it annoys everyone.

30. Tanabata on March 24th, 2008 12:49 pm

I have run into a few things at the gym that I absolutely hate:
    1) The narcissist who prances around the locker room naked (wear a towel dude).
    2) Those with weak bladders who whiz in the showers (you could pee before you get in).
    3) The one dude who bopped the clown on the water jets in the jacuzzi (keep that crap at home).
    4) The two beautiful girls who hopped into the jacuzzi by me and proceeded to look down each others bathing suits (if you didn’t bring enough to share…)

31. John on March 24th, 2008 12:54 pm

Ladies…. applying the entire bottle of perfume before you workout will not stop you from sweating or make it so you don’t have to shower afterwards. It just annoys others around you. We don’t want to choke on your perfume.

32. Chris on March 24th, 2008 1:08 pm

Please do include the barbell curls in the squat rack!!

33. Eric Forwinkle on March 24th, 2008 1:09 pm

I wear pajama pants and I don’t see how that makes a shit while working out.. you don’t like them, don’t look; I’m not there to impress you. You say wear loose clothing, I don’t own any tight pajamas. I am a exercise science major and it does bother me when people have terrible form, you would think the gym would hire people that would tell “the bad formers” these things before they hurt themselves and lose interest in health. Also funny how people try to be so big and use terrible form to accomplish greater weights and call themselves stronger, but in reality they are just using other muscle groups to aid in lifting rather than the muscle group they are trying to work being stronger.

34. G on March 24th, 2008 1:10 pm

agree with everything but the momentum. some olympic lifts require the use of body leverage. on that note, you should add no staring at the guy doing something other than squats at the squat rack (cleans, jerk, push jerks, etc.). oh and you forgot about the asses that use the bar at the squat rack for bicep curls. the big bar doesn’t make you look cooler (and no, i don’t buy that youre trying to work your forearms).

35. adrian on March 24th, 2008 1:26 pm

You forgot a few folks:

1) The whistler
    ( seriously … its not a concert )

2) The breather
    ( It’s great to get a few deep breaths in, but if I can hear you from 20yds away… come on )

3) The grunter
    ( You’re really struggling to get that last rep out, but try not to make it a regular occurence with EVERY rep. )

4) The talker
    ( I don’t give a shit about your kids sports career !! You need me to show you how to properly deadlift? Squat? More than happy to, but leave it at that, Im not there to shoot the shit. )

… This is getting long… I may finish it on my blog, there’s a lot of things that piss me off that I never say shiz about.

36. dat guy on March 24th, 2008 1:29 pm

i think its funny to see everyones comments on starbucks, curling, etc. and how they bitch about how the article missed small specific things. just be polite and courteous and go to the gym to do work and not fuck around

37. Anonymous on March 24th, 2008 1:31 pm

Weight lifting is not a silent sport. Making grunting noises, or even yelling, is a great way to help yourself overcome a mental block in lifting and push yourself to the next level.

38. Mark on March 24th, 2008 1:37 pm

I saw a asian “gangsta” type guy at the gym a few months back, who would do a set of seated rows, then literally wave his hands around like a rapper and dance in front of the mirror for 3-4 minutes before doing another set.

He must have done at least 10 sets of seated rows.

39. Matt on March 24th, 2008 1:38 pm

I’ve encountered most of the tips and sometimes it’s really an annoyance when you can’t find the other dumbbell..and have to walk around the whole place looking for it to be in some corner.

40. koew on March 24th, 2008 1:42 pm

Haha. Sounds like alot of you people don’t need to use the gym at all. You could just do your personal workout sessions at home. If someone’s paying for the same service as you do, how can you argue against it? You can’t.

Also, it ain’t rude having a bad B.O., it’s natural. If you can’t take it, leave the treadmill. Easy.

41. Chuck Howard on March 24th, 2008 2:50 pm

Not quite a rule, but as a rule of thumb: You can’t outrun your farts on a treadmill!

42. BIG T on March 24th, 2008 3:00 pm

PUT YOUR WEIGHTS AWAY!!!

This one drives me crazy. There would be more women in the weight room if they didn’t have to unload 10 plates off the leg press every time.

43. George on March 24th, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Avoid Bad Form

If you are lifting to get stronger, and not for the only-look good ironman competition. You want to lift heavy weights and sometimes it takes a little extra to get the weight into the proper position. If you don’t lift heavy weight you’ll never see your numbers go up.

44. CFA Level 1 on March 24th, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks for spreading the word through this post. Reminds me a lot of my past gym experiences.

45. Allan on March 24th, 2008 3:14 pm

Another one not mentioned, don’t do curls in the squat rack. The Squat rack is for squatting.

46. Resa on March 24th, 2008 3:28 pm

1) I hate people who talk to themselves on the elipticals.

2) Speaking of Smells – perfume or cologne, b.o and, farts are not necessary -, I.can.not.stand.the.smell.of.febreze. Please don’t spray your gym clothing with febreze. It stinks.

47. Dan on March 24th, 2008 3:36 pm

How about this one…

Guys in the weight room who will do almost anything to *look* like they’re putting up huge weight. This was really prevalent at my university as the 25, 35, and 45lb plates were all the same size and looked very similar. Sometimes, you would see someone putting up 3 plates on bench (ostensibly 315lbs) that were really 2 25s with a 45 on the outside. Sadly, the most frequent offenders were Division 1 athletes who happened to be working out in the main gym.

48. Jon on March 24th, 2008 3:58 pm

Here’s another: Be polite and allow others to work in. Oh and don’t confuse the gym with a prison yard.

49. Bugsy on March 24th, 2008 4:02 pm

a) Hacking up something from down your throat and spitting it out onto the shower floor. Yuck! Too many seem to think this is acceptable.

b) Leaving shoes and gym clothes on locker room floor while showering. No one wants to step on or trip over your nasty stuff.

50. Trade on March 24th, 2008 4:13 pm

And most importantly, it is not said that you shouldn’t overstep someone elses barbell, if it’s on the ground.

51. Tommy on March 24th, 2008 4:19 pm

I dont get why everyone cares about doing curls in the squat rack, at every gym i have been to there have been more people benching then squating so where do you prefer people do straight bar curls, cause im gonna keep doing them in the squat rack until the ratio of chicken legs is less than half the gym goers

52. Jay on March 24th, 2008 4:28 pm

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of others:
    If you absolutely must be naked in the locker room, do not bend over!!!
    I cannot stress this enough.
    The LAST thing I want to see coming into the locker room is hairy man-crack all in my face.
    And yet I swear, it happens every single time.
    Ayiyiyi.

53. dave on March 24th, 2008 5:22 pm

All your gyms sound way better then mine… A lot of people dont dress appropriately at my gym. You have fat men wearing tights and bicycle shorts. Like dude, unless your a woman with an amazing body, you should not be wearing that stuff. Same with the fat women… Wearing short shorts or tight tights. Your fat, ugly, and disgusting, so cover yourself up please. If I owned the place, I would cancel your membership if you wore that stuff to my gym.

Old men in the locker room are always walking around naked and its nasty. We also have men wearing underwear that covers their front and has straps around the back, but not covering the backside. The locker room is not a gay club. Cover yourself up and please no gay sh*t.

And whats up with all the fat women thinking doing situps and crunches is going to make them lose their pot belly? And the dumb trainers that have them do it.

Also you old women and men who do not know what your doing, please go home. I saw an old woman almost hurt herself twice trying to adjust the seat on two machines, how dumb are you? And you want to try to use it? And all these men who have no control over the weight, they dont control the weight, the weight controls them. They do pull downs where they are about to be pulled off the seat because they let it fly back up because they cannot control it. I know all about cheating and forced reps, but Im talking about the idiots that do this beginning to end, not just the last few reps.

And you old guys that have no game trying to pick up a girl at the gym. Dont be a cheap@ss and talk to the girl while shes doing her cardio by just standing next to her and talking for 15 min, take her out to coffee, stop being so cheap… Also you women that talk on your cell phones telling your friend “I cant believe im not losing weight,” dude, if you were actually trying, you wouldnt be able to talk on the phone at the same time. You go on for 30 min, and the machine says you only burned a 100 calories and lets keep in mind the machines all overestimate. Why do you even leave the house to burn only 100 calories on the machine?

And for most you other guys, its fine if you want to warm up, but dont be a retard and do cardio before weights. You burn all your energy AND you make the machines all sweaty. If you want to do a few laps to warm up thats fine, but dont do 30 min cardio and then hit the weights.

54. riki on March 24th, 2008 6:02 pm

I’d add a couple of extras. Turn your mobile phone off, it’s not the place for making home movies.

Also there should also be a time limit of leather donuts, hanging out in the mens locker room.

For Gym Instructors. Leave the girls along. She’s wearing headphones for a reason. She knows you’re bored and doesn’t want to be disturbed halfway through every set.

55. bilbo on March 24th, 2008 6:11 pm

It always seem to be that the bad-form nazis are usually the skinny wannabe personal trainer types, yet the big guys don’t seem to be afraid to throw the weights around a bit?
    Think about it.

56. pulp on March 24th, 2008 6:52 pm

#10 Profusely sweating spotters.

People who insist on spotting you at the bench but don’t bother wiping the sweat beads from their face first inevitably resulting in a bead or two falling in your eyes or worse – your mouth, while you are in mid press.

57. kojefa18 on March 25th, 2008 12:10 am

Please don’t wear cologne or perfume on or near the treadmills. Makes me want to puke when I am running next to you.

58. Jon H on March 25th, 2008 5:06 am

Ok… I hate being told to set my weights down softer. If I am doing inclined press it is more dangerous for my rotator cuff to lower the weights down and drop them to waist level and set them down. It is a lot easier to drop them at my side provided no one is within a distance to get hurt by them.

Also, I hate when people jump on a machine without asking while you are supersetting. If weights are on a machine, it is being used. If weights are on, and you don’t see someone around wait a couple of minutes. If I am supersetting (going between 2 exercises/machines back-to-back), I don’t want some idiot jumping on one and ruining the exercise.

Also, I hate gawkers. I am a big guy and I can lift high weight especially on exercises like the leg press. I hate when people stop what they are doing to stare at me. It’s annoying and rude.

Other than that, great list. Curls in the squat racks suck also haha.

59. Seventeen Reasons on March 25th, 2008 7:04 am

You go to the gym, you do your workout and leave. That’s supposed to be what you are focused on, otherwise you shouldn’t
    even bother hitting the gym. For me I do it because I addicted
    to the soreness after a workout. :P

60. Php Shopping Cart Software on March 25th, 2008 11:47 am

I personally go the the gym 3 times a week. It took me about 2 months to get the six pack I always wanted. =)

61. Sathane on March 25th, 2008 12:31 pm

I agree with most of this article. Pyjama pants are actually very comfortable and loose and work well for working out. In regards to the comment above about bad form not being a part of Gym Etiquette, I completely disagree. Etiquette is a ‘code’ of ethical behaviour. Many people who go to the gym have absolutely no clue what they are doing so when they see some jackass swinging his (yes, it’s usually a guy) weights up by using every muscle in his body that person is doing a great disservice to all of the newcomers who are watching him and thinking that is the way it’s done. Oh, and for those jackasses who pile on the weights and end up using bad form in order to move it – The point of resistance training is to make the lift harder, not easier, in order to force a response (IE: growth) in the muscle. You get better gains by using proper form since you are isolating the target muscles.

62. Tommy on March 25th, 2008 9:05 pm

I did curls in the squat rack today, and no one complained cause 10% of people at my gym do squats its pathetic

63. CHANDA on March 26th, 2008 8:52 am

I agree with “seventeen reason.” The gym is meant for a workout. Plain and simple.

I wrote an article on our blog titled “bullet proof ways women can avoid being a target at the gym.” It basically deals with how women can protect themselves from the many threats at the gym. If you get my drift.

I guess I rubbed a few individuals the wrong way. At least judging by the comments to the article.

Check it out by clicking on my name if you’re interested.

64. rippinitup on March 26th, 2008 12:38 pm

bad form nazi’s kiss my ass, when you’re first starting out it’s impossible to do enough reps and keep good form. Basically your other muscles become like spotters. No one bitches when a spotter helps you with your last rep or two. At least the other muscles are getting a workout too, while the target muscles are still doing some of the work and getting some benefit. Yeah it might not look cool but who cares, I don’t go to the gym to look cool to a bunch of strangers.

65. jalarmo on March 26th, 2008 1:42 pm

11. Don’t be an elitist and tell everyone that they have to use the gym the way *you* want them to.

The rules have to be followed, but after that I will use what I paid for as I see fit, jocko.

66. superLift on March 28th, 2008 9:03 pm

I really get angry when someone hovers over me while I’m using something thinking I’m going to end soon because it really makes me concentrate less so I’m more vulnerable to messing up. I prefer that you ask me if I’m done soon or if we could take turns. I do this with many of the guys I know at the gym because I don’t like to “hog” equipment and I’d rather they go first if it’s a quick set then have them wait for me to do a full set.

Another annoyance is the trainer who thinks he knows it all and whatever I’m doing doesn’t “work”. If you don’t have this guy at the gym be thankful because he makes me wanna puke.

I don’t “care” about bad-form but I do care when bad-form endangers the safety of others. Especially when bad-form leads others to do it that way and potentially hurt themselves or when someone has to “come to the rescue”.

Re-racking plates and resetting cable weights, I know this really isn’t something most gym guys care a lot about but it is a pain sometimes. Do you wanna lug around 8 45lb plates to the weight tree because the last guy was lazy? As for resetting cable weights it is kinda tedious to look for the pin all the way at the bottom all the time instead of at the 0 mark.

As for the endless crunch trainers, I once saw a trainer poking a client in the stomach with a pencil to show them “how much fat they had there”.

67. Gym Etiquette Do You Make These Mistakes - Laptop Directory on March 29th, 2008 1:46 am

[...] Gym Etiquette: Do You Make These Mistakes?The gym represents so many things to different people. For some, it is a safe haven after a taxing day at work. For others, it is a glorified happy hour to pick up dimes (chicks)www.ploomy.com [...]

68. Gym Etiquette Do You Make These Mistakes - Acne Solution Resources on March 31st, 2008 10:45 am

69. Tattoofu on April 2nd, 2008 10:32 pm

Let’s add:
    -Cell phones in the weight room. Bet ya $500 that it’s NOT an emergency.
    -Trainers that hustle for business. If I wanted a trainer I’d go hire one. I know how the treadmill works and I can count my own reps; leave me the fuck alone.
    -People that leave half a pound of Desenex on the locker room floor. Thanks for sharing your athlete’s foot, asshole.
    -Could we please miss “the 700 Club” today? I think ALL TVs should be removed from gyms, but could we at least stay away from Fox News, soaps, religious programming?

70. Fat Loss 4 Idiots on April 16th, 2008 5:33 pm

Interesting post, I think its more about self-awareness and personal hygiene.

Being good to yourself and taking care of yourself, you are more likely to be “hygienic” around others too!

71. Gman on April 21st, 2008 2:21 pm

Seriously folks if you have that many problems with what all these
    other people are doing maybe you shud invest in a home gym set
    ive been going to the gym for at least 20 years and nothing has changed nothing…guys talkin on their cell phones…guys staring at chicks butts etc…etc you can talk about all day long and it aint gonna change…live with or work out at home

72. Amanda on May 1st, 2008 12:23 pm

Perfect for those who go to the gym to socialize.
    Maybe some useful ones like the proper way to face plates on the bar and on the tree would be of more benefit.

73. Kevin on May 11th, 2008 10:02 am

dropping the weights after a rep is very stupid, dangerous and irritating. “Excuse me but your machismo is showing.”

74. Chuck on May 16th, 2008 10:45 am

If you’re a 20 something woman and you’re wearing a top with your boobs hanging out, don’t call a 45 year old guy like me a pervert if he happens to look. If you’re going to put them on display they’re there for EVERYONE to look at, not just the guys you’re trying to attract.

75. Organize IT Recap: Career Lessons From The Office, Gym Etiquette - Practical advice on personal development, productivity and GTD on July 12th, 2008 3:42 am

[...] you are a regular gym goer then this guide to gym etiquette may be of interest. Mainly common sense but it’s surprising how many people [...]

76. Shaun on July 16th, 2008 12:14 pm

I agree with most of whats been said.

Theres one guy at our gym that really does my tree in. He goes on the leg press and loads the thing to the max. Rather than controlling the weight up and down he simply has a guy lift it for him on the first rep and after than drops it back to the stop, where it then bounces back up. And then repeats this pattern. Its celar he has no control over it at all.

77. Stevo on July 28th, 2008 5:50 pm

1. Stop farting in my space! i don’t want to smell your ass!

2. Turn down your damn Ipod’s! I don’t want to hear Fifty Cent’s latest crap.

3. Wear deodeorant you disgusting pig!

4. Girls, stop tempting me with your camel toes! Don’t act like you don’t know!!

78. Abby on August 5th, 2008 12:19 am

1. Grunting is ok if you are actually doing something hard. But I hate the guys who make a big show of struggling and grunting when they aren’t doing any weight.

2. I don’t care that you are sneaking a look at my boobs/ass, but try not to be so obvious, it’s creepy.

3. Shut up! I see men at my gym who do more talking than working.

79. Abby on August 5th, 2008 12:20 am

Oh, I almost forgot this one. Change in the locker room, not the bathroom stalls!

80. Amy on August 6th, 2008 9:20 am

Hey wannabe runners! Please learn how to land on the treadmill quietly. I’m so sick of hearling you big ass feet hit the ground. Yes, I can even hear it over my MP3!

81. Phone music player hater on August 23rd, 2008 9:40 pm

There was a guy at my previous gym who was built like a toothpick and would exclaim to his friends: “I have the biggest chest in the gym”.

He would walk around using his phone as a boom box.
    The gym music is bad enough, now we have to listen to your crap too! DIE!

terrible etiquette.

82. Frank on February 24th, 2009 10:11 pm

Close the shower curtain, I don’t want your runoff! And don’t hawk on the shower floor. And please don’t choose the shower next to mine when there are twenty other ones.

People who watch other people changing. There oughtta be a law against that.

People who smoke in the bathroom! And spit on the bathroom floor. Seriously rotten.

Trainers who stand around breathing your oxygen – make yourself useful or go somewhere else please.

People who get between you and the mirror during a set, and just stand around gawking at themselves. Or people who cut by you mid-set in your space and throw off your rhythm – they should be gut-checked.

Employees who come and talk to you, or watch you training, standing around talking, while weights are scattered all over the place and towels and even trash. I’d fire ‘em.

People who don’t wipe their sweat off the machines. People who bounce around five different machines with no plan or method to their workout – and somehow always land on the machine you’re about to do next..

TALKING. TALKING. TALKING. If it’s all you’re doing, GTFO. It gives me a headache when all I can hear is your voice going on and on – especially if it’s using a phone on a treadmill. It’s a shared public space, people. Not a stage for the drama of your life. (This goes for groups having business meetings in cafes too). If the guy across the room can follow your conversation, IT’S TOO LOUD.

I hate it when there’s nobody in the gym, you go to your locker, and then they give the next guy the locker right next to yours! So the whole room is empty except for you two bumping elbows and moving each others’ locker doors. Or when that guy puts his junk right where you would sit instead of the whole rest of the bench.

Don’t get me started!

83. Jacob on February 24th, 2010 11:55 am

ok…. I hate when guys flex in the mirror…. I am a big guy too…. but I think I should punch you in your teeth if your do that… two curls in the squat rack HORRIBLE…. its used for squat, shrugs, shoulder press, power press, etc…. not curling…. when people use bad form I HATE IT!!!! mostly when people bench press and freakin thrust their damn hips in the air!!! your gonna hurt your back STOP!!!!!

84. Hiram on March 1st, 2010 11:58 am

OK, I vote for the yelling and grunting after each rep (not set, rep). I’ve seen guys load the bar with way too many plates, do ONE rep while yelling and grunting in order to get everyone’s attention, letting the bar crash on the floor, and then walk around the mat as if expecting a standing ovation.

Geez, get some class!

Hiram

85. Sue on March 23rd, 2010 7:50 am

I need to vent…
    I was in one corner of the gym, out of everyones way, doing crunches…listening to my Ipod, minding my own damn business.
    These 2 meatheads 10 feet away from me are talking to each other so loudly i can hear them over my music… hear them so loud that i couldnt take it after about 8 mins. They were yelling practically.
    I see these 2 blokes everyday & I always saw hello to them, So I politely joked to them saying I can hear them over my music!!!
    This one dude, shaped like a box takes off on me… he starts yelling at me, asks me to mind my business, and if i want peace n quiet I need to go to church not a gym!!! and to increase my music volume.
    When i told him all he needs is to keep it down a bit he had the gall to call me a Grumpy Old lady when im actually 36 and he is over 50!!! He called me that about 4 times and said a bunch of stuff i couldnt understand coz he has a strong accent.
    Then he calls 3 of his buddies and talks smack about me in Spanish…so loud that half the gym hears it…
    Can someone tell me what i did wrong…how do you react to a douche like that???
    I was so upset, I had to walk out.
    Part of me wished i could go and kick him in the nuts and see him double over in pain then throw a dumbell on his crotch when he was benchpressing …but ive been brought up better…so i
    I cant believe that i have to see his dumb face every morning.
    I work out atleast 4 days a week and it bothers me that I have to deal with his ugly personality every day.
    BTW..he is also one of those morons who groans n moans when he lifts…so loud you would think he was dying.
    Please tell me how to deal with these kinda folks….

86. Bob on May 4th, 2010 7:51 pm

Dont stand directly in front of the dumbbell rack while doing curls or whatever youre doing. YOURE IN THE WAY.

The squat rack and power rack were made for compound lifts. Not for curling.

87. FRE on January 17th, 2011 1:37 pm

There have been complaints about older guys walking around the locker room nude. Here’s why older guys do it.

Until the late 1970s or so, boys swam nude in school swimming pools; suites were not even permitted. At YMCAs, males swam nude; suites were not permitted. Anyone who doubts this can confirm it by doing a google search on “nude school swimming” and “nude YMCA swimming.”

Many of us who were around in those days see it as truly bizarre that men and boys now days are so concerned with nudity among other males. At one time, such concern would have been considered abnormal and efiminate. In earlier times, we had a more healthful attitude towards the human body.

88. matt on March 2nd, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the read it made me laugh, there are sure a lot of people that need to get up to date on their gym etiquette. This kinda reminds me of that one website http://www.wtfgym.com . Thanks again for the read

89. hydrony on March 22nd, 2011 5:07 pm

ya”ll filled in all the blanks. Bad form n pajamas are the least of my worries. if you did your ten reps get the “f” off the bench, machine whatever. the naked guy in the locker get a towel before engaging in conversation. you wanna socialize, go to the bar. been efficient and having intensity, in n out of the gym is the best result. some guys be there for three hours. give me a break. awesome blog guys n gals )