We’ve all been through it at some point. I’m talking about that rut, funk, spell or period in our lives where we feel like we’ve lost our swagger.

There are many reasons why this loss in confidence occurs (I’ll let you fill in the blanks), but when it happens to you, it sucks major. Here are 30 tips to get you out of the doldrums and help you get your swagger back.

30 Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back

Photography by Delgoff

Some say to get a tattoo, go sky diving, shave your head, change your name, throw out all your clothes, move back to your home town, have a one-night-stand and things of that nature, but I want to focus on less extreme measures and more of the simple things you can do.

If you think about it, when an NBA player is in a slump, they’re always told to get a few easy layups in or to get to the free throw line to get them going. These types of things should be no different for you. You don’t need to necessarily overhaul everything you do. Sometimes you just have to do the little things that make a big difference to get you going again.

Take a Good Hard Look in the Mirror

1. Improve your diet. Like the old adage says, “You are, what you eat.” Take out Rockstar, add in water. Take out beef, add in fish or chicken. Take out the M&M’s, add in vitamins. Take out McDonald’s, add in Subway. You get the point.

2. Get more sleep. Not only will it make you feel more refreshed, but it helps in so many other countless ways. Here’s a great article about the importance of sleep: “Sleep: You Need More.” [LifeClever.com]

3. Get to the dentist. Now is not the time to reschedule that appointment. Get your teeth cleaned, crowns fixed, bridges built, and root canals dug. You’ll be smiling before you know it.

4. Get a haircut. Okay there’s nothing wrong with those Supercut $14 specials, but it just won’t do this time. I’m not saying go to one of those foofy salons where they serve you wine and make you take off your shirt, but just go find a reputable shop and get a nice cut.

5. Update your wardrobe. I’m definitely not recommending you go splurge on ridiculous items, but sometimes when you look good, you just tend to feel good. Treat yourself to a new outfit, but remember to stick to buying pieces that you will always have a need for like a suit for work or wool sweater and leave the trendy new stuff for the fashionistas. Here’s a book I personally recommend: The Handbook of Style: A Man’s Guide to Looking Good

6. Get a new pair of glasses. Update your look with a fresh or modern pair of specs. If you’re tired of wearing glasses then try contact lenses.

7. Shine your shoes. Don’t use the fake liquid shine stuff. Use real shoe polish, some water and a lot of elbow grease. If you can’t see your reflection on the shoe when you’re done, then get them shined by a professional.

8. Buy new cologne. The goal here is not to smell like teen spirit. Sample more than a few scents and ask the sales person for their recommendation.

9. Bring your suits to the tailor. It might cost you a few bucks, but there is simply no substitute for well-fitting clothes (even better if you can swing a made-to-measure suit). Here is one of the best places to buy a Custom Made Suit.

10. Wear your favorite underwear. If you don’t have one, get one. If you can’t decide between boxers or briefs, go with boxer briefs.

11. Wash your car. There’s something about arriving in style that never seems to get old (even better if you get your car detailed).

12. Get a new watch. It’s time to retire that Fossil of a watch and get a true timepiece. Skip the brands that also make clothes and opt for those that only specialize in making watches exclusively.

13. Stop comparing yourself to others. This is easy to say and difficult to do, but it is essential in getting your swagger back.

Get Your Shit Together

14. Align your priorities. Take a piece of scratch paper out and identify what is important to you in your life right now. Make sure you put yourself as #1.

15. Set goals. You don’t have to wait for the new year to set goals. Here are some tips on “How to Write Resolutions That Stick.”

16. Take care of business at work. You spend roughly 60% of your waking life there so make sure you’re doing what you need to be successful. If you don’t like your current job, then quit and find a new one.

17. Organize your finances. Read “What Every Guy Ought to Know About Proper Money Management.” If you need more assistance, make an appointment to meet with a financial adviser.

18. Drop bad habits and develop good ones. They say it only takes 9 days to form a habit. Do you really need another reason to stop biting your nails already? Start today.

19. Cut dead weight. Let go of anything and everything that is weighing you down. This includes extra pounds, negative friends and the subscription to that magazine you never read.

Be More Active

20. Change your latitude. Take a trip to somewhere you’ve never been. Traveling often opens up our eyes and changes our perspective (even better if you can afford to go international). There are lots of great deals and it doesn’t have to cost too much. Now Save Up to $525 when booking a Flight & Hotel Vacation Package with Travelocity.

21. Hit the gym. Exercising makes you look and feel better (duh, right?).

22. Start running. Running doesn’t require a gym membership and is also one of the best ways to get in shape. Here is a fantastic article if you want to start running: “Beginners Guide to Running.” [ZenHabits.net]

23. Take up a new hobby. Even if you’re already a skilled juggler, you can still always learn a few new tricks.

24. Join a public sports league. They have all sorts of different leagues with sports ranging from kickball to bowling to basketball. This is a great way to get in shape and meet new people at the same time.

25. Learn a new language. This is a great way to flex your brain and to challenge yourself. I recommend taking it at a community college or online at Mango (they offer up to 12 languages and it works–I’ve tried it).

Get Inspired

26. Get nostalgic. Get out your old football highlight reel, dust off your trophies, and pull out pictures of your hot ex-girlfriends. We’re not saying to live in the past, but it’s always good to give yourself some credit and remind yourself that you were once a badass mofo.

27. Listen to music that gets you going. Check out some of these songs: “The Top 15 Songs to Get You Pumped Up.”

29. Bring your friends close and family even closer. When your confidence is low, there’s nothing like allowing your biggest supporters to give you that much needed pep talk to lift your spirits.

30. Rekindle some of those long dormant dreams. It’s never too late to go after your dreams. Here are two videos that remind us that anything is possible: “The Inspiration behind Rocky” and “The Best Speech I’ve Ever Heard Steve Jobs Give.”

You may find that these won’t all work for you, but that’s okay. The key ingredient here is to take action and to truly believe in yourself. If you have any tips you’d like to share please leave a comment so others can benefit from them.

Comments

43 Responses to “30 Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back”

1. jayleck on February 19th, 2008 11:51 am

Love the articles. I would underscore #20 “Change Your Latitude”. I grew up in the UK and living over here in the States for the past 9 years has been a godsend. It changed my life in many ways.

My only disagreement is with #24. I’m sorry but you yanks think bowling is a sport, but it’s not. Try darts!

2. AllanK on February 19th, 2008 1:46 pm

If I see another Michael Kors, Diesel, or Calvin Klein watch, I am going to puke. Fellas there is more out there.

3. Alano on February 19th, 2008 5:11 pm

Cool guidelines. Finally someone put it on paper forlazy people like me. Time to get that swagger back in 2008!!!

4. MSBautista on February 19th, 2008 7:04 pm

Great read! Definitely can think of a handful of guys that would benefit from reading this. Heck, this could apply to some women too.

5. David Carmona on February 19th, 2008 9:54 pm

“28. Watch your favorite movies of all time. Grab some popcorn and watch that go-to movie that always seems to make you feel alive.”

You need to make me a post on your top 5 or whatever movies,

also I had an idea to have a post of the top most inspiring inventors (for you) and not typical like (einstein or jeffereson) but more like vint cerf, Doug Engelbart, or Ivan A. Getting

I would totally dig an article about something in that field.

oh…and about this post,….

I’m perfect,…. ;)

6. stergeron on February 20th, 2008 10:35 am

+JAYLECK: I know what you mean about travel–very true. But I disagree with you about Bowling not being a sport. It is in my book.

+ALLANK: Do you recommend any watch makers in particular?

+MYNPY: Hey man, whatever works for you.

+ALANO: Good luck!

+MSBAUTISTA: Great please share it with them!

+DAVID CARMONA: Ok, a top movie list is in the works. And thanks for the great content idea. Love your design site btw.

7. TGB on February 21st, 2008 4:27 pm

Nice article…..and plug for all the other posts on the site! :-)

Recommended watch brand – Nixon. Great quality, sleek, simple designs, younger in feel without being flashy or gawdy.

8. Ramy Majouji on March 9th, 2008 3:29 pm

Clean your home. Not a routine cleaning. I mean the big one! Dedicate a whole Sunday or something like that to throw what’s not good anymore, organize your mail, clean your kitchen, etc. Do it with a friend if you need company.You’ll feel more comfortable in your house (or appartment or bedroom) and you’ll be more likely to keep it clean (and be less shy to bring very hot girls at home).

I love this article (and this blog!). Keep it up!

9. bluestrawberry on March 10th, 2008 2:50 pm

I enjoyed this. Half of them I already knew, but still a great list.

10. Kris Leslie on July 17th, 2008 9:01 am

Man if you want to reinvent your self this is the way to go. I have tried a few of the things on the article and I can say it helps. It helps to have a life RE-MIX every now and then.

11. Mike Calimbas on August 2nd, 2008 4:45 pm

This list is right on the money! Always good to refresh your batteries every once so often.

12. brian on September 9th, 2008 7:55 am

What works for me when I get in to a funk is just to put myself out there, and find new things to make myself happy. For example, start talking to every female you can. Don’t just stop a bunch of strangers on the street, necessarily, but talk to every attractive woman that you find in your path for longer than 5 minutes. Even if you’re feeling like a dork, just talk to girls for a while, and you’ll find that you gradually get your mojo back. The main problem is taking that first step, because often, when I’m feeling shitty, I start thinking im going to make an ass of myself. But that is part of the joy of meeting new people, even if I make an ass of myself, it doesn’t matter. Because I started out with no relationship with them, and even if I make an ass of myself, I have no relationship with them. Therefore I have nothing to lose by trying, and who knows? I might even get laid.. which truly makes me feel like a man. i imagine this will work for women as well..

13. i need to work on my "game" with the ladies - Page 4 on September 14th, 2008 9:12 am

[...] this, I don’t neccessarily agree with all of them but they might work for you. 30 Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back : ploomy – what men need to know __________________ MM MACH 1 CREW MEMBER #2 MaCain/Palin [...]

14. roland Bautista on October 11th, 2008 3:36 pm

i had to re-read this article because i need to regain that swagger that had me feeling like a million bucks

15. joel on November 7th, 2008 10:04 pm

already went thru the ‘get your swagger back phase’. i did. and for a short while i kept it up. but its too much damn work when you’re in college and just smoke weed. i dont really need to do this shit. personality is what counts most.

16. Stagger Lee on November 9th, 2008 12:37 pm

Quite interesting that most of the suggestions see a solution to personal problems in buying stuff. This is the american “dream” i an nutshell. You feel bad -buy something. You’re afraid of terrorattacks in your home -go and buy watersupplies, canned food, improve your house etc.
    I think that recent history again has tought us that this kind of society is doomed to fail and erase itself from this planet.

17. mike on November 9th, 2008 4:19 pm

How about knocking this down to 1. “Don’t listen to lists that are posted on the internet.”

18. stergeron on November 9th, 2008 7:55 pm

@Stagger – you make a point, but it’s a stretch to mention this list along with terror attacks and the American dream.

@mike – that’s the best comment of the day.

19. Ellen on November 10th, 2008 4:20 pm

So basically, spend a shitload of money.

20. stergeron on November 10th, 2008 4:48 pm

@Ellen – I admit the first part of the list does ask you to spend some money for certain things, but think you’re missing the point. Majority of the tips here don’t require spending a dime.

21. Ken on November 17th, 2008 12:36 pm

nothing gets the swagger back like a good haircut and a good nights rest.

22. Josh on December 6th, 2008 11:42 pm

Trust me, a sure-fire way to get some “you time” back and really leave your mind at ease, ditch the cell phone for a day. Now i know we cant make it without our phones for long, but maybe a day or an afternoon, and just kick back and know the only place you have an obligation to be is where you’re at right now.

23. anon on December 8th, 2008 11:39 pm

sport
    –noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

24. bruce on January 8th, 2009 2:15 am

Great article. The only thing i have to nag about is the suggested list of music. To me musical taste is very personal and most of the songs on that list are overplayed and worn out, although, that’s just my opinion!

25. stergeron on January 8th, 2009 9:31 am

@Bruce, you are indeed correct, music is such a personal thing. The list is not definitive, but am sure people know that. Thanks for your comment. I’d be interested and I think our readers would be too to hear what your top 5 songs are and why. I’ve found so many cools songs just in all the comments.

26. Lex Luther on February 11th, 2009 10:06 pm

hey this article is awsome i felt that after my 2 year relationship with my ex i lost everything her and sumthing more valuable……My swagg,

27. stergeron on February 12th, 2009 2:12 pm

@Lex, thanks. I’m glad you got something out of it. Hopefully you get your swag back.

28. curlygirlie on March 6th, 2009 9:15 am

Em- reconsider the Cologne thing. Just bathe and deodorize. Many with fragrance allergies – especially those you want to get close to, will thank you. If you must wear cologne, don’t skunk yourself so everyone within a one yard radius is choking. Thanks.
    Odoriferous Yours
    Pretty Girlie with allergies to fragrance

29. Get Togetha on March 19th, 2009 9:55 am

This article is dope and is kickass no-nonsense to the point…

30. Zoltan - Self-esteem wizard on April 22nd, 2009 9:30 pm

Many great ideas. No matter what you do , you have to do it. Action creates solution. You can read everything, go to classes, but unless you start doing something, nothing will change.

31. S.Smith on May 4th, 2009 11:54 pm

I think I’m only misssssing sleeop…

32. Curzon on May 6th, 2009 7:50 am

Lots of little things add up to something big. In the case of diet, this definitely has an effect on your swagger. Can’t eat garbage daily and expect to be healthy.

33. Adrian on May 26th, 2009 5:43 am

Awesome post! If all guys were doing this thing we would live in a GREAT world full of REAL men…

Thanx,
    Adrian

34. 9 Cool Websites Every Guy Should Know | Cool Material on May 27th, 2009 9:11 am

[...] manducation. On top of all of that Ploomy is actually a great source of life tips, such as Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back and A Practical Guide to Office [...]

35. JIZZAAYY on July 20th, 2009 4:46 am

YOU GOTTA GIT YO SWAGGA 2GETHA NIGGA!!!

36. robb on October 4th, 2009 2:52 am

hit the gym is probably the hardest one.
    duh.

oh btw great articles.

37. dee on November 21st, 2009 6:47 pm

This is a grate Website trying to apply it to my every day life I personly like the comment about jst talkin to random femails/mails hard to do but deffintly will boost the swager. And the comment bout the guy bout somken weed all day its all to the good but will not lead u to the goods but I no its fun hahah

38. 30 Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back « Yasoob Ahmed | The Blog on December 23rd, 2009 7:21 am

[...] 30 Tips to Help You Get Your Swagger Back Filed under: Uncategorized — yasoobahmed @ 8:51 am http://www.ploomy.com/2008/02/18/30-tips-to-help-you-get-your-swagger-back/ [...]

39. Kyle on July 22nd, 2010 6:17 pm

Writing that LIST was the most important step to me.. Now I have my goals UNDERLINED, everything I want in life is right in front of me on paper, and all I ahve to do is go get it.

I feel amazing now!

40. Kyle G on October 15th, 2010 6:00 am

Good article, but please don’t listen to all of #16!! If you are truly dissatisfied with your job and want to get a new one, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a new job THEN quit. You’re probably reading this article to give your self somewhat of a face lift. You cant do that with no income so find job, quit old one. not the other way around

41. carlos spicy wiener on October 27th, 2010 10:10 am

Nicely said goin to use all these methods to get that swagger back.THANKS ALOT!

42. Ms I am on March 10th, 2011 7:27 am

As a woman how can I help my man get his swag back. What can I do to foster this do I even bring it up or will that only make it worse. We’ve been together 10yrs married almost 3 and have 3 children we do the daily grind and I think he’s lost it a bit in the routine of things I want him to have it back it’s so sexy on him. How can I help. I’m thinking of planning a weekend fishing trip out with the guys and I’ve eased up on being so stuffy about him being out and about. Will this help?

43. Colt on March 24th, 2012 3:41 am

Nice article, recovering from drugs that made you feel good isnt easy…there are a a lot of great tips on here that I’m gonna start doing. Thanks